CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 25, 2008

Video editing: Groupwork

Is life too hectic to enjoy fully? For most of us( B.ed Tesl Cohort 3 students) today, the answer to the above question would be a definite "Yes". First and foremost, we had to attend lectures. After spending five hours in class, we had to do group discussions. Finally when we arrived home, we had to have a bath, had our dinner and if we were lucky, got to watch television for awhile. Then, its back to the grind: finishing out assignments. Now, we had had abundance of tasks and assignments to be settled within a period of time, not only this course but the other courses.

For this week, our task was video editing that should be done in groups and pairs.
I had some painful experiences doing video editing for group work. We had to edit the video from one of the 8TV’s famous programmes- ‘So You Think You Can Dance’. Firstly, we had faced problem downloading the series of videos because it took very long in duration. If I was not mistaken, I took about one hour of each series. Unfortunately, while waiting for the downloading process, I could not do any task using my laptop because the downloading progress would be slower and of course I took longer time. Therefore, I had wasted my time gluing myself in front of the laptop and waiting for the downloading process to finish.

Secondly, we had to combine all the series of the videos and edit it to make a new video. Thanks to my group members, Zarne, Mukmin and Faizah for doing well for this part. Then, it was time to convert the video to avi format. There was no problem in converting to avi format. However, we had problems during uploading the files to the ADEC website. We had to upload raw materials of Episode 4 of the programme (4 series), the combined video (1 video) and labeled videos (14 parts). Therefore we had 19 things altogether that must be uploaded. However, each of us only could upload 3 files. Meaning that each person had to upload 3 files and there would be 4 files left. We failed to upload the 4 other labeled videos. We had posted this issue in the forum but sadly there was no reply.

I had tried to upload all the files from midnight until tomorrow morning but I was successfully uploaded only 1 file out of 3 files. Wai had a sleepless night waiting for the uploading process to finish. Therefore, I pushed myself to go to UM’s library and uploaded all the files there. Alhamdulillah, I managed to upload all the files. I felt so relief. I went back home with a sweet smile to show that all my works had finished before I went back to my hometown.
As I was on my way to my hometown, I sat comfortably on my seat in the bus, looking through the window to see the scenery of that evening. I could see a flock of birds flying freely and chirping happily. Sometimes, I got very jealous with them because they could go anywhere they like, flying freely like they have no problems to face off. As I wanted to sleep, my phone rang. Zarne called me and told me the latest news of our task. As many of us failed to upload the files, we had to combine all the works in DVD format. Oh my God! I still had works to do. Then I started to panic because I did not bring back any document of my project. Thanks to Zarne for doing all the latest tasks.

As a conclusion, such a hectic life is not for me. I prefer a slower pace of life where I can savour each moment as much as possible. It is crazy to rush and not see so many things around us. Maybe we can learn something from William Henry Davies’ immortal lines:
What is this life if full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

0 comments: