CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

How has the pattern of my school holidays changed as I have grown older.

When I thought back about my childhood, many vivid memories sprung to my mind. The most vivid memory for me seemed to be going for a drive in my father’s car. As my father and my mother had to work all the week, the only time they could take the family out was during the weekends or school holidays. During school holidays, my parents would bundle all of us in my father’s car and take us to visit some interesting places. Sometimes, we went for a picnic or shopping. My brothers and I really did enjoy these trips. So, what can I say is life during primary school was one big round of enjoyment and happiness. We had nothing to worry about. We only knew how to enjoy the life and play!
Growing up has changed things a bit. School holidays now seem mostly fulfill with homework and assignments. During this Hari Raya holidays, I pushed myself to finish up some assignments. I glued myself in front of my laptop, browsing some information regarding to my assignments from early in the morning until the afternoon. I stopped for a while and continued until the evening. My parents especially my mother wondered, “Why there were so many assignments during the holidays? Just ignore them laa. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”. When I heard my mom told that, I laughed very loudly. Then, I had to stop doing all the assignments for a few days. I knew why she told me like that. She wanted to have some chitchats with me as I rarely went back to my hometown. So, I entertained her by going out to Bazaar Ramadhan together, cooking new recipes, watching television and others. Furthermore, as my mum now suffers from lung cancer, she really needs support and attention from all the family members. She lost her weight from 72kg to 46kg. I felt so sad. I could not see any happiness from her face. She is now extra sensitive. She could easily cry if we did very simple mistakes. Huhuhu..
All in all, I could say that the pattern of my school holidays changed as I have grown older. It was from playing and changed to have some commitments. I thought this was part of the process of growing up. My small world of the family is gradually changed and now it expanded to include my friends, lecturers and doing assignments. Perhaps in the future the pattern on my holiday activities will change even more. I cannot say for sure what they would be but I have to face and do them when the time comes.

0 comments: